“The difference between heterogeneous and homogeneous families is imaginary. We are all members of the same family.”
Many people wonder becomes an actor of movie or theater, and if you want both then where to start? And what exactly is the difference? Lear more on the Newmark Theater.
About actors of movie and theater
What’s the difference? In order to understand let’s consider both items.
- Versed in the plot, listens to the opinion of the Director.
- Each day gets a job to extract from the text that he teaches according to the General Director’s commentary
- Out on the pad begins to play, is the first double – interfacing with partners, then a number of takes in which the Director “sets” of actors to each other and their vision of the episode. Total from 1 to … doubles. The average number is probably around 4-10. At the same time do not forget about the technical rehearsals.
- Rehearsals happen. But often it is one rehearsal the day before filming. Or a rehearsal on the way to the location, or a rehearsal just before the shooting.
- The actors have downtime: when they expose the light, they take a shot without you.
- Movie actor should remember the technical aspects: what hand he drank coffee , what shoes should be in this scene, over what shoulder turned. So that we can mount the footage during editing.
- Movie actor often has to work without the atmosphere of the film or without anything at all. For example, Dobby from Harry Potter was added after. During filming, the actors played with a stick on which was attached a tennis ball.
- Movie actor often does not even know what will happen in the end.
- A movie actor plays everything out of order. Today you can play as you die in the final. Tomorrow in the first half of days: as you hate its love, because he killed your kittenish; and in the second half of days: as admit this same hero in love with alive kitten on the hands of.
- Acquainted with the text, the General Assembly expresses their opinion on the text and the hero, the Director takes everything and summarizes the General idea
- Detail to detail examines the role himself, then gives the check to the Director.
- Before you start playing on the text of the play, you first need to talk to the partners of the study on the theme of the play and the relationship of the characters, so that in the image of the hero you can naturally respond to any situation.
- Convention. The theater is one continuous Convention – painted backs, scenery, make-up, wigs. Most often, the theater does not seek naturalism. The actor has to put up with all these things and “revive” them with his imagination.
- Most theaters (except the biggest ones) don’t have enough make-up artists, custumers, and props, so no one will bring you anything or serve you if you don’t worry about it. And what will happen if the “old man” will take the stage without a cane, you probably can imagine.
- Goes on stage without the right to make a mistake. And without the right rest. This is a very serious physical activity, and the actor does not have the opportunity to “take a break.”
- Should logically justify on scene any technical, acting and other abound. Here is an example from real practice: the girl went on stage in a dress inside out, at first the audience was at a loss, but she did not show any kind and continued to play, the next day a lot of fashionistas of the city came out in dresses topsy-turvy.
- In the theater, the troupe is people who spend a very large amount of time together, and therefore personal relationships are very important. So for example, common jokes on each other. There is a story associated with the fact that the texts that can be read, the actors do not learn by heart, but simply read from a sheet.
And now, if we sum up, what is the significant difference:
— in theatre you only get one chance to infect and conquer the audience, in the movie, you can every time, every take to perfect (if it’s not a show where just faster to make).
— part in the movie, the Director will correct, clearly explain what to do, where to look and how, calculate your movements to the millimeter and show how to perform them, that is, you will only have to do in the theater, this will never happen, you will have to “look for the soul” movement, gestures, facial expressions and all this should logically develop during the game on stage, in front of the audience.
— in the theater you will have to meticulously and painstakingly prescribe and study the biography of the hero, understand his motives and feelings, analyze the text and think out for the author what he did not write in the movie, all this is not necessary, you will go to the site and your team will help you.
— in the movie, you will be independent enough, because even if the scene is not single, most of the frames removed so that your games can’t be spoiled by the game partner (all large plans, for example), in the theater you are 100% dependent on their partners on the stage if they make a mistake, you pull them otherwise the whole scene or even the play failed, no matter how You played.
But there is a significant similarity:
— in the film you will need to play each take many times. But in the theater, the play is played for years several times a month – a huge work!
— in the movie, the story is not in order, but in theatre frequently between scenes and episodes time passes (years) life of the hero, and the actor is behind the scenes.
It’s easier to start playing in the movies than in the theater, because you have the right to make a mistake. But still I think that the theater is the cradle of the actor. I do not advise to go to the theater for those who do not have imagination, who do not like to read the text and invent stories. Cinema will bring you popularity and security. The theater is not, but will allow you to directly “talk” with the audience. In the theater there is no place for idealists, because when an actor reaches perfection — he must leave.